Furshlugginer... A Scratch Build
Furshlugginer: - in Yiddish it means something that is old, battered, or junky.
I chose this name because I really have no idea how this rocket will turn out, or what it's design will entail.
I started out using the LEGO model of the USS Defiant, which has a center body and a couple of large nacelles as outriggers.
So lets started with a BT-80H body tube and a couple of BT-80H outriggers. These will be glued together and left to dry.
2026-07-21 Forming the BT-80H Sub Assy
I submerged the BT-80H Sub Assy for 5
minutes in cold water, then clamped it in a fixture to make the overall
height 2". Clamped the sides to make the BT-80H Tube Fins
rectangularish.
I'll release the fixture tomorrow and check it out.
2026-07-22 Tube Forming - 24 Hours Later
Released the BT-80H Tubes from the
fixture and there was a small amount of spring back. So I soaked them
in water again for 5 minutes and stuck them back into the fixture
CAD
Fired up the CAD Station and knocked out a quick study drawing:
Open Rocket
Used the study drawing to build an Open Rocket model and simulation:
2026-07-28 CAD Drawings
2026-08-08 Furshlugginer Badger...
Revised the design.. turned the Nose Cone and Air Inlet Side Pod on the
wood lathe, cut and sanded the Air Inlet Side Pods, and then glued them
into place.
2026-08-08 Gluing The Nose Cones, Mitering The Fin Tubes and CAD Drawings
2026-08-10 Building the Spool, and installing the Launch Lugs
Cut the Retaining Rings using my Scroll Saw, and then sanded them to shape. They were then glued to a BT-52HMF Motor Tube.
The Launch Lugs were cut to length and glued to the Body and Fin Tubes.
2026-08-11 Nose Ballast and Lag Screw Eye
Ended up using a 1" Dia Steel Bar, a
little over 2-1/2" long. There were (2) pieces that just happened to
work. I cut a 2-1/8" Dia wooden dowel to 1-1/4" Long and drilled it for
the Lag Screw. Then slid it all into the Nose Cone counter bore and
glued it into place using Gorilla Wood Glue.
Altimeter Bay... And a mock up of the paint job... but distressed.
Adding some CA to the inside surfaces of the Tube Fins, to help maintain their ovality.
2026-08-20 Primer and Paint
Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer and Satin White
I plan to the do the "Badger" paint on the nose... this will need to dry though a couple days.
2026-08-22 The Badger Wrap
No comments:
Post a Comment