Solar Cargo: A Scratch Build/Design
Here's a space cargo ship that features square body tubes and nose cone... only round items are the tube fins.
It'll be a 29mm Powered- Rear Eject rocket.
Should be a fun build..... simulation shown is for ref. only.
It'll be a 29mm Powered- Rear Eject rocket.
Should be a fun build..... simulation shown is for ref. only.
2026-08-21 Knocked out the CAD Model, then pulled some dimensions.
Looks like there is adequate room for the 24" Parachute, the Ballast Slug and the 29mm Motor.
I ran an Open Rocket Stability Simulation using round tubes, and it appears stable.
I ran an Open Rocket Stability Simulation using round tubes, and it appears stable.
2026-08-23 Nose Cone
Every scratch build / design Odd-Roc project starts out with making the Nose Cone (at least at Lakeroadster's Rocket Shop they do)...
And I noticed something this morning.... does kind of look like a bee, doesn't it?
2026-08-27 Basswood To The Rescue..
The upper section is the crew "bridge".
The Shield rotates forward and downward to protect the bridge from space
debris or ne'er-do-well's... at least I think that's what the artist
had in mind.
The
Bridge is made from pine and the Shield is made from 1/8"
Basswood. It appears a bit to bulky at this point. once I'm done
gluing it I may opt to sand it down to a thinner thickness.
Added the Lower Light Pod under the chin of the Nose Cone.
I
made it from (2) pieces of laminated 1/8" Plywood. Freehand beveled
that on the Table Belt Sander and glued it to the Nose Cone. Then once
the glue sat for a couple hours I sanded it with the Table Belt Sander
such that it is square with the rocket horizontal center line.
2026-09-04 Fuselage Build
Ventured down to the local hobby shop and bought 6 sheets of 1/8" x 4" x 24" Basswood. So it's time to build the fuselage for the Solar Cargo.
Installed the external side braces
2026-09-07 Wings
Tube Fins
2026-09-09 Fins and Centering Rings
2026-09-10 Spool
Rear Eject Motor / Parachute Spool -and- Gluing The Nose Cone To The Fuselage
2026-09-11 Space Hoist
2026-09-12 Spool Front Spacer Ring and Space Hoist Day 02
After the the swing test was performed the rear spool was pulled from the rocket. It came out cleanly and left the chute still in the body. To help prevent that a Front Spacer Ring was added to the Spool Tube. The Kevlar harness would likely have pulled it out... but why take the chance.
Added a couple of mounts for the Space Hoist. The front mount (Space Hoist Pivot) is a square piece of 1/16" Th. Basswood. The rear mount (Space Hoist Magnetic Stowing Device) is a Hole Punched piece of card stock. A small piece of tape will be placed over these, then I can paint the Space Hoist off the rocket, and then glue it in place after everything is painted.
2026-09-13 Quick & Thick Fillets and Super Glue
2026-09-14





























































































No comments:
Post a Comment