Space X Dragon Capsule... A Scratch Build
The Space X Dragon Capsule is such a cool design...
This one is powered by (4) 18MM motors in
a tractor motor arrangement. They fit nicely in the Draco Engine pods.
There's also another 18mm motor in the spool for extra thrust and to
eject the spool out the rear of the rocket.
It's based on a 4" nominal body diameter and end up as a pretty straight forward design, should look impressive when completed.
2026-01-18 With Graphics
I spent a little time this afternoon formulating a plan to turn the
capsule and drill the (4) canted motor holes. For me this is a huge
part of the challenge of model rocketry, figuring out how to make the
parts by myself, using the tools I have available in the barn.
We'll see how this "turns" out (shameless pun) and if successful, I'll knock out the rest of the drawings.
We'll see how this "turns" out (shameless pun) and if successful, I'll knock out the rest of the drawings.
2026-01-19 Crew Capsule, Rev 02
2026-03-02 Lag Screw Eye and The "Plan" for the Draco Motor Cover Pods
Draco Motor Cover Pods
2026-03-03 Draco Motor Pods
2026-04-05
2026-03-06
2026-03-07
2026-03-08 Cut the BT-400 and BT-80H tubes, as well as the (4) fins.
2026-03-25 Swing Test
Passed the swing test. This is yet
another short stubby rocket that when simulating the flight, base drag
shows just how stable it is.
2026-06-20 Motor Tubes
(Sorry for the delay.... I had to order some T-20 Body Tube from BMS)
Just
your basic T-20 motor tubes and thrust rings. Cut the thrust rings
from a spent C6 motor casing. Thrust rings were glued into the BT-20
Tubes, and then these sub-assy's were glued into the Dragon Capsule.
Once these dry I'll sand them down flush.
2026-06-23 Sanded the Motor Tubes flush with the Capsule sides. I'm filling imperfections with wood glue, just to ensure everything is tacked down good.
















No comments:
Post a Comment